From:
"Nancy J. Donnelly" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:26:24 -0400
Hello to all.  I have a question that is bothering me.  About six months
ago, I took my brother's ferret to nurse him when he got adrenal disease.
I kept him for a few weeks after surgery and he did fine.  I have 9 ferrets
of my own, and I kept them seperated.  A couple months after this, his
other ferret came down with adrenal disease.  I also took this ferret to
the vet, but was told just to watch him... the right adrenal was only
slightly larger than the left and not enough for surgery.  I was told he
had nothing contagious and could be put in with my ferrets.  The first
ferret was classic with the hair loss, etc., but he did also have a
terrible urinary infection.  The second ferret was balding on his tail and
the area just above it.  Both ferrets were bought at different times and
are different ages, but both are around 2-3 years old.

Now, just a few weeks later, my very first ferret, Sam, is losing the hair
on his tail.  I can't say he is lethargic, as he has always been extremely
lazy, just wanting to lounge around in his hammock.  His eyes are clear and
he is alert.

I am worried.  Are there any other conditions that could be causing this,
or can it possibly just be coincidence that all three developed adrenal
disease?  None of my own ferrets have ever been sick, and Sam is about 5
years old.  Thanks for any help or suggestions.