From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:55:57 -0400
Yes, if a ferret has not reacted it pays to get the vaccines, and doing
so is one of the important precautions to further protect the one who
can't have vaccinations.

There is a LOT on this topic in the Archives of the FML and FHL so those
will help you: http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org .

Speaking as someone who has seen others (loved humans as well as loved
ferrets) go through anaphylactic reactions and who has had such reactions
herself: when there is prompt treatment (IMPORTANT) it is usually worse
to witness it than it is to go through it.  It's not a piece of cake, of
course, and without treatment it usually is fatal or worse (such as
surviving but with brain damage) but from my perspective it is less
nerve-wracking for me to go through the reaction myself than to see
someone else go through it.

BTW, there are some tips for reducing the risk which get repeated a
lot including:
- Do not give more than one type of vaccine at a time.
- Use a vaccine which has a reported lower reaction rate such as
  Purevax CD vax for ferrrets.
- Pretreat as per the vet's recommendations
- Stay at the vet hospital for a long time afterward so that treatment
  can be given promptly if a reaction occurs.  (BTW, this is why
  allergists have people stay 20 or more minutes but people can tell
  you if they are beginning to not be able to swallow or have other
  worrisome symptoms and ferrets can't so stay a decent while longer.)
---

Hey, Bill: it's very much time for me to say thank you again to you for
all that you do for the FML, the IFC, and so much more, so THANKS!  Day
and and day out you turn out an incredible list!
---

Spell check?  ME?  You have got to be kidding.  I've got to use on-line
spell checkers, dictionary, and thesaurus.  I work around mild dyslexia,
but read very well -- and always have -- despite flipping and often
confusing anything with a circle or curl which also has an attached loop
or line (6,9,q,g,p,b) and at times having text shift position, but I
can't spell for beans and have terrible handwriting.  In the third grade
I was reading Poe and Shakespeare (missing a lot but reading them,
anyway) but I could barely spell at all, having one heck of a time seeing
the difference between girl and gril and other simple mispellings if I
was trying to do the writing myself.  (Back then we were called "lazy"
and not given any special help because no one knew what was going on.)
So, I just have to work harder: be more careful and to use more resources
more consistently to achieve passable text and that is just the norm for
me so that's not a problem.  Besides, it takes work for anyone to write
decently, especially given how important re-writes are for professional
writing.  There's not one of us here here who doesn't work around
something or harder due to something in one way or another.  But, me
SPELL CHECK for others?  No way...