From:
"Megan O'Shaughnessy, D.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:39:39 -0800
Hey all.

Life has been totally nutzoid in the past couple weeks; I've moved to
Washington and my kids have FINALLY come home!

Grover is currently being treated like he had helicobacter.  He's had 2
doses of flagyl so far, and (big surprise here) he hates it.

Please, please tell me, what do YOU mix the ground-up flagyl with?  The vet
gave me pills and said I had to grind it up and divide into 1/10 of a pill
dosages, it's been a royal pain in the youknowwhere.  I've been struggling
to get it into the syringe and then adding a little bit of a ferretone-like
oil in hopes of making it more palatable (but no luck.) So far I've gotten
by by picking him up when he's asleep and glorping him before he knows what
hit him, but I feel so guilty!  He retches and paws at his mouth afterwards
and acts like I might as well have killed him and gotten it over with.

BTW, yes, I am being careful not to make him aspirate the stuff, I am
shooting it somewhat sideways into his mouth and not down his throat.  Of
course, this gives him a lot more opportunity to try to spit it out, but
he's getting most of it anyways :/

He doesn't seem to mind the amoxi too much but does NOT like the Peptobismol
at all!  (I've got little pink spots on my carpet now that I'm going to rent
a steam-genie.  Ugh.)

The GOOD news is that Grover is doing much, much better.  I'm not sure
whether to attribute it to the flagyl or not, as he's had only 2 doses...
my instinct says it is the food.  He is starting to put on weight and his
coat is starting to fill out a bit.  I had him weighed at the post office
today (that was hilarious lemme tell ya!!!) and I couldn't see the scale
but the postlady said he was just about exactly 2 lbs.  If that is actually
accurate then he's around 900 grams which is easily 70 more than he was
last week!!  At any rate, though, he is looking a lot less skinny, and,
even better, he is starting to play rougher and to get into more trouble.
Last night and today, he and Onyx even got into some dancing and tussles!

It's been SO good to see Grover wearing a play face, and to see him and
Onyx taking turns pouncing each other.  It's not a constant, yet, but it's
happening more and more often.  This morning I woke to hear dooking (from
whom, I dunno) ... the new sleep sack I just sewed for them last night was
bounding all around and there was, to all intents and purposes, a good ol'
row going in inside.  They are still very much good friends, and I think
Onyx is trying to weezil him into more play.  Grover is regularly stealing
socks now.  He's starting to notice treats, though more slowly than Onyx
does.  And he's become a real lover for laying in my lap while I watch
rented movies.  He DEFINITELY knows what the soup syringe and towel is all
about, and is all ready to go when they come out.  He really loves the
recipie that I finally settled onto, and I think that is part of what is
putting the weight onto him.

Onyx is also doing extremely well.  She has turned into an extremely fiesty
little minx (okay, she was one before!!!) and is very prompt at stealing
just about anything she can.  She still nips but not as hard, and is much
more likely to kiss than nip.  She has scared me a few times by flashing in
with /lightning/ speed and actually grabbing my eyelids or the skin near my
eyes, but she has never hurt me.  She is learning to stay on my shoulder
(better than Grover) though her curiosity still often gets the better of
her.  She is very healthy and muscular as usual, and playtime is not
complete without her going whacko and bouncing about, cha-cha-cha'ing (sort
of like asthma but happy sounds) and zooming away backwards with flips and
bounces.  She still steals backwards; it's so endearing.

(WA) Megan, plus
  Grover (Ma, I'll trade ya meds for soup, really!!)
  Onyx (Grover's weird. It's 2am, do you know where your socks are????)
  Cinnebar (Why, mom, why?!?!?!)
plus...
  little nameless cat

--