From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:20:00 -0400
>There was an article in Modern Ferret about a ferret that got sick from
>drinking aquarium water.

I remember the case, as I was consulted on it.  Giardia is a common
parasite of fish, resulting in no clinical signs, but lives in large
numbers in most aquariums.

In ferrets, Giardia has been incriminated in causing diarrhea.  (However,
it may also be seen in ferrets with no clinical signs.)  But to be on the
safe side, I always recommend that aquaria be covered.

Fish are also commonly affected with mycobacteria, which can in rare cases
be passed on to ferrets who chew them up.  While the possibility is remote,
it is also a reason not to allow the ferret free access to the fishtank.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM