From:
Kathleen Homan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:22:11 -0400
Hello,
I understand and completely agree with everyone's extreme disappointment
over the veto for ferret legalization, but I myself do feel that the
there is still a big chance that it will happen in the future...we must
continue the fight and never give up!

I wanted to bring to everyone's attention an animal related bill that he
did pass-SB 1520 which will, come the year 2012, ban ALL production and
sale of foie gras in the state of California!  This is a HUGE achievement
for animal rights and the animals themselves!  This will hopefully
inspire the state of NY, in which the country's other major producer of
foie gras is housed, to amend it's laws also...

For those of you who do not know, foie gras-the French term for "fatty
liver" is actually that, the grossly enlarged livers of ducks and geese
that is sold as an expensive delicacy in many countries.  The ducks and
geese are housed in deplorable conditions,and to say they are treated
inhumanely doesn't begin to describe it.  On these factory farms, to
achieve the fatty liver, the birds are force fed, using long metal tubes
inserted into their esophagus, a pound of food in about 2 seconds, three
times a day.  This causes many physical problems, not only related to
fattened livers, but broken beaks, sore and blown esophagus and crippling
due to weight are all to common.

The actual term for what happens to the liver is hepatic lipidosis,
actually a disease!  So what people are consuming when they are eating
this so called "delicacy" is a disease, which is very obviously
unhealthy.  But unfourtuanly many people do not know what is behind the
making of foie gras, and that is why I have chosen to share this today.
Foie gras is very simply an unnecessary food that is detrimental to both
birds and people.  For more info on the topic, visit www.nofoiegras.com .

Thank you for letting me share this information with you, I know that as
animal lovers it is very hard to hear, but if we do not listen, suffering
continues.  My other point is sharing this is that if the Governor passed
this, he obviously has concern and some heart for animals.....All hope
is not lost for the ferrets of California!!  We have to keep our heads
up despite this loss...a major achievement for animals happened with
SB 1520....we can be next!

Kathleen