From:
Ferret Nook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 11:23:39 -0500
As a shelter mom, I cringe when I hear about ferrets staying both over
night and on weekends with no human supervision!  All it takes is a
caught nail in the bedding, a water bottle to leak, etc., etc.  and the
Monday morning result will be devasting!  Ferrets get bored very quickly
and need the companionship of their humans!  I don't believe any amount
of toys can replace the companionship of a human being!  Yes, the ferrets
are around the children all day, but what happens on weekends and over
night when no one is around?  An unattended ferret, even in their cage
for that long of a period of time, is an accident waiting to happen!  As
a teacher, is this sending the correct message to the students?  Yes, the
students are being educated on the daily care of ferrets and in return
the ferrets are receiving lots of love and attention, but what other
messages are the students receiving?  Is this really being humane to the
ferrets?  They are missing out on a happy home environment.  IMHO, I
don't feel that ferrets are a good classroom "live-in" animal.  An
occasional visit or even staying on a daily basis is fine, but not to
live in the classroom.  Just my .02 cents worth!

Kathy Fritz, Executive Director
The Ferret Nook Ferret Shelter
Cambridge, WI 53523
(608) 423-3315