From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 07:31:44 -0400
>[Moderator's note: Pam Grant made up FML stickers.  She sent me some a week
>or two ago and I think they'll do just fine - they're pretty nice.  Details
>are in ad issue 4, or I suppose you can mail Pam for details.  BIG]

Thanks!  I look forward to the Baltimore Ferret Show in Annapolis, MD which
will be my next ferret function, September 21.  I'll have the stickers on
sale there as well as wearing one or two myself!

>"weaning" kits

For those people buying kits at pet stores, it is a good idea to moisten the
dry food with water or mix in canned Iams or Sci Diet for at least two
weeks, gradually reducing the additive until the kit is eating dry only at
8-10 weeks of age.

>Totally Ferret

To all those looking for Totally Ferret (I personally don't feed it, but to
each their own) I just got my new Jeffers catalog yesterday and they now
carry TF in 12.25 oz and 5lb.  bags.  Their number is 1-800-JEFFERS and they
deliver about anywhere.  I've dealt with them several times, and always get
good service.

Totally Ferret only comes in 5 pound and 20 pound bags, so if it is being
sold in anyother sizes, it could be repackeaged who-knows-what.  I'm calling
the Willards at Performance Foods and looking in my new Jeffers catalog
first.....

>Subject: IS THREE A CROWD?

We already have one fuzzy and we are considering getting one or two more,
but I had a couple questions before I went out and bought them.

>1. Is one ferret a ton more work than two or three ex.(cleaning the litter)

You will have to scoop poop more often and dump the box twice as much, and
whent he ferrets are out exploring you will have to watch more activity in
multiple parts of hte room at once....

>2. Is introducing one ferret to another a very arduous task.

Actually, I find introducing two ferrets to one is really much easier.  As
others onthis list will attest, I think THREE is the perfect number of
ferrets.

a. Always someone to play with.
b. Always someone to be comfort when another has to have surgery or is ill
   or passes on.
c. Easier introduction of two to one than one to one.

>3. I have heard so much talk on the FML about ferrets not getting along is
>this a common thing or are these just freak cases.

Ferrets usually always get along, it is just that many people do not give
them enough time to work things out themselves before breaking up a "getting
to dominate you" squabble.  Note the post the other day on why they were not
playing nice, just to p.s.  that they were now sleeping together under the
couch.

>4. How long should you supervise the two fuzzballs before you can give them
>some liberty to play by themselves ex.(in their cage alone)

Depends on your nerves and the ferrets.  If you are getting ferrets from a
shelter, ask the people there for their opinion after they watch your ferret
in action with others.  If you get a kit from a breeder or pet shop, it
won't take long as long as the kit is over 8-10 weeks of age.

>ECE help

Please e-mail me - anyone - for guidance if you want my input.  I just spoke
to a group of veterinarians at the AFA's Small Animal Conference this past
weekend and impressed upon them that ECE is VERY REAL.  I'm happy to help
any ferret that needs it.

Pam Grant - STAR* Ferrets

[Moderator's note: Performance Foods *is* now selling Totally Ferret in 12.5
ounce bags but only to retailers, not to individuals ordering directly from
Performance Foods.  They said they decided to sell the smaller size to help
stop repackaging.  BIG][