Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 04:09:58 -0800
I had made arrangements to pick up the Mt. Savage kids next weekend.
But after I got an email from Barb Carlson about an accident that
happened the night before, involving 3 ferrets escaping outside and one
getting killed by the dog. I packed up my special needs kids and headed
up to Cumberland. Our mutual friend Carol, was wonderful. She met me at
the Sheetz station and went to the house with me. Thank God for that.
Not only would I have gotten totally lost but I was unnerved as it was
going to some house that was literally built on the side of a mountain.
I thought my car was going to totally bottom out on the path up there
and felt like I was written into a combo movie script of Motel Hell
and Deliverance. Yup, sure enough, I was going to come out of this one
as a Farmer Vincent Fritter. Dog tied up in the yard, several stray
cats, the whole 9. Cats, they claimed were dump offs. Inside though,
was remarkably well kept and so were the ferrets. All were on the thin
side. One is adrenal. They had decided to only surrender 5 after the
accident the night before. From what I gather, Diane was living with
the homeowners who decided they wanted to adopt three of the ferrets.
The one they said was "sick" from being outside the night before, I
didn't feel was sick at all. My AC kicked in as I held this beautiful
dark nosed, dark silver in my arms. She said "I was there. I saw it."
and I felt so much sadness coming from her. She had seen her other
ferret companion get killed by the dog. So I tested the message she was
giving me by asking the people a few questions. Was she close with the
one that died? "Yes," they said. I asked if she was nearby when it
happened. "Yes " to that question as well. I'm not a vet, I told them,
but I felt that the little girl was stressed and traumatized from the
accident. Sweet little girl was giving me kisses too and as much as
I wanted to grab her and run (Carol confessed later, she was feeling
the same way, hahah) I couldn't envision the two of us bolting through
the cold woods of Western MD like a couple of deer with the husband
bounding after us with his 15 gauge. Not a pretty picture...and our
cars were in no position to make a quick clean get away, let me tell ya!

In retrospect, maybe it was a good thing that they kept her so she
didn't have to go through a move after the incident as well. They
weren't going to surrender the other 3 so I did what I could, gave them
some information, some herb references to help the little girl with
her stress and headed back down the mountain. Apparently, the accident
happened when the ferrets got under the sink and out a hole in the wall
under the sink that the owners were unaware of. It has now been fixed.

So comes to a close the story of the Mt. Savage 9. The Mt. Savage 5 are
nestled snug in their beds, and so far not experiencing any stress.
They are 4-5 years old but very sweet and will hopefully find homes
for Christmas.

Everyone going to the Symposium: Have a safe trip, lots of fun, learn
alot and someone tell me if there will be transcripts available? I
really hate to have to miss this but my ferret sitters are not
available next weekend.

Kimberly Fox
Somethin Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-Rescue.html
Pay Pal accepted for donations at this email address.
http://companiontalk.terrabox.com/SUMS-tilesoflove.html Fundraiser page