Date:
Sun, 31 May 2009 21:09:01 -0600
[Moderator's note: A bit more clarification from Roary:
This is posted with permission of the author, who originally broadcast
it via Twitter. It's pretty much as the Twitter post appeared, which
is indeed a bit hard to follow. I didn't edit it any futher. BIG]

I follow lots of animal people on Twitter. Yes, I am one of those
hopeless twitterers, reading each and every tweet on my timeline. I
tweet and reply to several people each and every day, and for the most
part it's a chance to learn a little about the world outside of my own.

But today, as I watched my timeline, I saw a set of tweets form like
a stream of consciousness from a volunteer who worked with dogs and
horses. It mesmerized and moved me all at once, and I wanted to share
it with everyone who tries to help animals. I have compiled his tweets
here mostly unedited, his raggedness and rush to get the words out left
intact. I took the title from one of his lines. It is one of the most
poignant things I have read in a long time.

- hoomin

* * * * *

never give up on you

thinking about being a kid again and
remembering lassie on tv i cried every
time lassie got lost or hurt every damn
week after week mom would say its ok
she will be ok lassies not going to die
and not me never believed her nope
its this week alright never get out of the
well this time but lassie always did
somebody would save her or she would
save the baby deer from the hunters but
where i vol not all the dogs and cats get rescued
no one comes and saves them they sit in their
cages and wait for their hero to come they
get tired and sleep a lot and maybe they
bark a bit 2 much or they jump up and go
nuts when they see a possible hero they just
sit there and not move growl at being woke up
or just get old and tired dont play much anymore
eyes get clouded over and well dont look
anymore 4 a hero then they are a burden
they cost money the pills cost to much
honey what if it needs a operation? we dont
have the cash where would he go here
look over here a cute PUPPY! awwwwww
a baby doggy see it loves you you can grow up
with her shes your baby dog what u say honey
yesss i want a puppie lets take her and the
paper work is done the shot given the little scarf
is on her neck and away they go by clover
the old dogs just look out the cage and maybe
settledown and sleep thinking purhaps
good luck youngster! or see ya soon kid
both maybe the right answer who knows?
the only thing that i know is that there are
more coming in old sick injured but mentally
and in body and the puppies turn into dogs
and old dogs pass on the cycle is always continuing
mommy daddy i want a puppy! look the kids
in the white house has a new kind of dog
its a water dog mommy it can swim in my pool
with me! i want a puppy please
learn from past mistakes animals are not
disposible trash something to fill a need
and then out grow help kill shelters look at
their dogs and cats you might find a good friend
help the humane shelters they keep the dogs till
death if they need 2 and will take a dog back
to rehome if they need 2 but please please
remember animals are living beings next to
infants the most helpless of beings they come
to you and they bond fast and never give up on
you no matter what they are open 4 love
24-7 365 till the end you owe them at least that
adopt yes but responsibly thats what i am trying
to do myself and you know i cant i am only
one person and sometimes it overcomes me
and i get stuck unable to move and i fail them also
and it cuts 2 the bone please pray 4 me and all
who work in this field either staff or volunteers
thats what i am doing ...... i work in human med
i work eves and at 60 and been through all the
things of my past my body is beat when i get home
i have to take care of my wife and blind poodle
a real love both wife and dog lol then 2 bed
at maybe 3am then up back to work psych
is not easy floor 2 work as is any at this time
so i am beat when i get to my dogs or horses
some people come and stay all day like they
live there me i am running here or there feel like
i cant make a connection with myself and the
animals either yes been told that by a few here
i guess we are all on a path that is very twisted
i have done a lot of helping 4 people and will
keep on doing so but there is something
missing in my heart a meaning a true passion
i just dont want to miss it...

rjwequine1
http://twitter.com/rjwequine1
posted on Twitter, May 31st, 2009