From:
HannahBelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:55:56 -0800
Hi Renessa,

We own a young, female greyhound/husky mix and she is our ferret's best
friend.  Jenna was ours (an adoptee from the local pound) for over a year
before we got our ferret, and we were very nervous about letting them
meet due to her breeds.  Everyone told me that huskies were horrible with
small animals and that greyhounds just wanted to chase them.  Once Riley
had grown out of the tiny kit stage and we had seen Jenna show only
gentle curiousity in him, we let them play together and they became
true brother and sister from that moment on.

Jenna's breeding and upbringing is a mystery to everyone but her - she
came in to the pound as a one-year old stray from some unknown place -
but she has been great with Riley and also my pet rats.  I get upset when
people will only bring puppies into ferret-owning households because they
believe that they have to raise the dog themself if they want it to be
ferret-friendly.  Jenna and also my parents' two rescue dogs acquired as
adults (a Brittany spaniel and a shepherd mix) disprove that theory.  My
recommendation to you is to talk to the people you are adopting from, to
meet the individual dogs, and to go by what their foster homes/rescue
agencies say about them.  Greyhounds are naturally quite laidback but
some are more so than others, and I think a dog's temperament truly
depends on the individual animal rather than what its breed is.

Good luck with your new dog, and thank you for adopting a rescue dog!

Hannah & Riley
http://rileyrox.livejournal.com