From:
Doug Gerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:53:44 -0400
Hello again,

Doug Gerald here from Anchorage, AK.  We have five fuzz butts, and I think
we have found the perfect cage solution.  After using the "traditional" wire
cages, and finding them to be a bit flimsy, we constructed our own.  Here's
how:

We purchased two of those wire storage unit kits (I have lost the mfr name,
but will look for it as soon as we make our next trip to Costco).  They are
comprised of several 14" square metal grids and the plastic connectors to
hold them together in various configurations.  They come in a variety of
colors; we chose black.  Cost: about $15.00 per set

Next, we bought a couple of bags of medium to heavy nylon wire ties (black).
The kind used to connect bundles of cable, etc.

We discarded the plastic connectors, and connected the grids with the wire
ties to make a two story cage.  The bottom floor is 42" x 28", and the top
floor is 28" x 28".  We made two doors by simply omiting wire ties on all
but the "hinged" side.  The doors run the width of the cage with one on the
bottom that swings up from floor level, allowing easy cleaning and ferret
access to the litter box, etc.  when they are out.  the door on the upper
level opens from the top.  The floor is covered with pieces of scrap
linoleum.  Access to the upper level is through a piece of PVC elbow
attached to a metal flange (about $8.50)

The shape is roughly:

                      /
                    /     Door
                  /
+------------+           +
+---    -----------------+-------------+

|                                                      Door

The doors are held shut with bungee cord stretched across the width.  For
added security, we use metal clips on the top door to prevent it from being
pushed up in the middle.

The entire cage cost us less than $45.00.  It has the added advantages of
being expandable for little cost, and collapsable (ms?) if you need to move
it.  You can clip the wire ties in the appropriate places and fold it up if
need be.

I have made a Corel graphic of the cage with instructions on putting it
together if anyone is interested.  Just e:mail me, and I will send you the
graphic in any format you desire.  I'll send it as cage.pcx if no format is
specified.

Take care.

Doug, Sue, and Penny
(Lori, Tory, Shadow, Mysti, and Diva too!)