From:
Mike Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 06:50:17 -0500
>From:    Nikki virgin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Questions about insulinoma; a new kitten
>
>what is the average life span one a ferret has been diagnosed with
>insulnomia?

There was a study done several years ago by Dr. Weiss and Dr. Williams.
In 66 ferrets with confirmed insulinomas, they used three different
methods of treatment.
1. Pred/Proglycem,
2. pancreatic nodulectomy and
3. pancreatic nodulectomy combined with partial pancreatectomy.

The average disease free interval was 22, 234, and 365 days, respectively
and the average lifespan was 186, 456, and 688 days.  That said, it's
obvious the best possible results are obtained by partial pancreatectomy
along with pancreatic nodulectomy.

Your results may differ of course.  I treated one ferret with prednisone
alone and he survived for 3.5 years with insulinoma and lived to be
almost 7 years.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-385-6750
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
*