From:
"Anne K. Georgiades" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 10:31:49 -0400
Ticks have to be attached for at least five hours and more like 24 hours
before any disease is transmitted.  So, if after each outing you promptly
remove every tick, your ferrets should be fine.  Ticks suck blood out when
they first attach.  When they get "full" the regurgitate some back into the
host...that is when they spread the disease.  The proper way to remove a
tick is to use tweezers...get as close to the skin as possible, almost
toucking the skin, grab the mouth parts of the tick and pull straight out.
Do not twist them or use alcohol, nail polish remover, matches, etc.  All of
those things will "frighten" the tick and it will immediately regurgitate,
defeating the purpose of removal.  Also, don't grab them by the body...you
will squeeze the possible diseased blood into the ferret.  There are other
tick borne diseases besides Lyme - Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and
Ehrlichiosis are two.  Since ferrets are prone to anaphylactic reactions
from injections, I would suggest that prevention including tick removal is
the best method of control.  Should the ferrets become febrile or you
suspect something is amiss within two weeks of tick removal, take the ferret
to the vet and explain the history of ticks.  Doxycycline is the current
drug of choice for Lyme's disease, ehrlichiosis and RMSF.

I used to let my ferrets run loose.  I had put extensions on my closet doors
to prevent them from crawling under.  One day, the closet got part way
open...perhaps one of the ferrets pushed in the center.  Well, Clover tried
to squueze herself between the crack the two doors created and was crushed.
When I came home and found her with such agony on her little face, what else
could I do but blame myself.  I was heartbroken and scared to let the others
run loose in fear that my "ferret-proofed" house was not really safe.  Their
curiosity prevails above their own safety and I believe they have the
potential to turn any situation into a dangerous one.

Sorry so long...but if anyone wants more information on ticks, I just
completed a three week rotation on zoonotic diseases and tick were a bigg
emphasis!  My email is [log in to unmask]