From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 19:27:55 -0500
Ann--
I think the drug name you are looking for is dexamethasone.  It is a
steroid type drug that has been used for ferrets in severe shock, such as
an anaphylactic reaction.  It is a glucocorticoid and considered efficient
as an antiemetic (supresses nausea and vomiting).  This type of steroid
is catabolic and helps the body convert stored fats, sugars, and proteins
to the energy needed when under stress as well as improving circulation.
I learned about dexamethasone when I had ferrets with insulinoma who were
given to sudden and unpredictable seizures due to low blood sugar.  One
ferret would have such severe seizures that my vet finally provided me with
syringes loaded with dex.  Judicious use of the dex would help me bring the
ferret around enough that she could be given an extra dose of her normal
meds and fed something high in protein.  In this case the anitemetic
effect, the energy conversion effect, and the improved circulation were all
beneficial in breaking the cycle of the seizure.  For some reason a third
ferret with insulinoma never had this kind of severe attack and just had
to be encouraged to eat regularly.  With the two girls something more was
needed until the point that surgery and their regular meds were no longer
keeping the seizures rare enough for them to have an enjoyable quality of
life and we had to let them go.

For comparison, one pharmacological site I visited to check info stated
that dexamethasone is approximately 10 times stronger than
prednisone/prednisolone, other steroids commonly used in ferrets.

Debra