Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:45:26 -0700
Subtleties in happiness can be very exciting to view... a ferret who was
shy before, coming around more often and making themselves seen.

In Mushu, her happiness is defined by lying contentedly on her side with
her eyes half shut and licking the air.  I especially love the way she
looks at me when I talk to her (she's deaf) and she stares at me intently
and the licking starts, her head semi-darts forward... just the intensity
of the interest.

In Lobo, it was his need to start stashing the big toys.  He never did it
when he first came to us.  Now he stuffs the big stuffed toys in behind
my water fountain, which nothing fits anyway.

In Akela, it is her way of finding you and circling you and tilting her
head to one side.  It is as if she is smiling...

In Sateeva... well, she is far from subtle.  She is a wound spring.
Every time we see her she is just one little bouncy ball of white.
Her eyes are bright and full of happiness.

In Tygger, it is his way of exploring that shows confidence in his walk
and in his way of examining the world around him.  He is fully blind on
his right and I would say partially blind on his left.

In Rayden, it is in his ability to be boss, to be head honcho, to be
the alpha ferret.  His marking drives me nuts, but at least I know he
is happy knowing he is boss.  Know what I mean? :-)

In Sammy, it is in his laid back nature.  He is not stressed, doesn't
seem to take things personally, just minds his own business and sleeps
with whomever, whenever and that's fine for him.  He plays with anyone
who is handy when he wants to play, which is not all that often now that
he is getting on in years.  He just is so easy going.

In Cherokee, it is again in her liveliness, her brightness, her life
force that seems to just flow off of her.

There are so many ways, as Sukie mentioned, that the subtle signs of
happiness come out.  All we need to do is to watch for them...

betty and her blur o'fur
for the love of ferrets