From:
Angelica Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:20:44 EST
>Brewers Yeast and the chromium it contains DECREASE blood sugar; they
>don't regulate it.  As a result it can be useful when a person has a
>ferret with diabetes because diabetes, though not very common in ferrets,
>can be hard to manage in them.  On the other hand, it is not good to have
>as a supplement or med if insulinoma (which IS quite common in ferrets)
>is present, specifically because it DOES drop the blood glucose levels.

I wrote down everything I gave and did with Tibbie when he had
insulinoma.  I did his blood sugars at home and it was pretty close to
the vets test.  I had been giving him Brewer's Yeast tablets 1/4 tsp. a
day as the vet had suggested.  One day I couldn't find the pill crusher
so he didn't get the tablets for a few days.  During those days his
blood sugar was better.  So I stopped giving it to him and his BG got
considerably better.

If you're going to give anything to your ferret I advise you to keep
track of dosages, when it was given and how he/she acted that day.
Confer with your vet often and remember when you are caring for your
ferret you are their doctor.  Especially herbal medicines and be careful.

As far as blood sugars go I had good luck with Devils Club Supreme.  I
know others have sworn against it, but I was very careful the first dew
days Tibbie took it.  I did not leave the house or let him out of my
site.  It didn't work the miracles I had hoped it would but it did make
a little bit of a difference.

Angelica