From:
Sc Ellis-Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:13:06 -0500
I am deeply saddened about Kodo, however I'm sorry to say I am not
surprised.  There is still a huge misperception about ferrets out there -
wild vs. domesticated, vicious vs. affectionate, etc.  I also believe that
there was a fatal misunderstanding by the powers that be of the science and
statistics involved in this case and how to apply them and judge them.  I
run into this problem constantly, and the newspaper my husband works at
dropped their weekly science page last year...sigh.  I have noticed what I
think is a tendency of courts and bureaucracies to brush aside so-called
"small claims" and "insignificant" matters and property, whereas I consider
a few hundred dollars or a pet quite significant.  I'm afraid that too many
people in positions of power (small or large) do not approach their work in
a humble manner with an absolute commitment to serve (even if they don't
completely understand the situation or don't particularly like the parties
involved).  And , of course, people abuse power.  I second Bob Church's call
for a national unified organization.