From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 19:59:50 -0500
Ok - I just picked up the 1998 Ferret USA magazine.  The following is my
"review".  Be warned - all of my opinions are exactly that - opinions.

The judge pictured (near the back) as an AFA judge - is she one?

The albino or DEW (it is hard to tell with the lighting) pictured on page 14
has a dirty face and has a very bad profile.  I think it might be the same
little ferret that is pictured in the breeder article on page 64, as the
handler of the ferret looks to be wearing the same clothing, same color
hair, length of nails, etc.

Speaking of the ferret on page 64 . . .  her face is dirty, but even worse
is her toes and nails!  Her nails have dirt/poop build up making her a prime
candidate for infection!  This ferret should have been used in the grooming
article!

And speaking of dirty ... In the same article (breeding) there is a photo of
a breeder's facility (page 66).  I am very disappointed, as the facility
looks like the ferret poop under the cages haven't been picked up in two
months or so.  Also, there are two or more obvious cages that do not have
water bottles, while others do.

I know you all will say, "Hey, poop happens!" - but in a photo for a
national magazine?  I understand as well as anybody about taking care of
many animals & getting chores done, but if I knew a photo was being taken,
I surely would have cleaned up and made sure all animals had water bottles.
Presentation is everything!  I hope everybody knows not all breeders'
facilities are this way.

Why would any ferret person that is dedicated to promoting the ferret
provide such unsightly photos for a national publication?  Why would the
editor allow such photos of dirty facilities and dirty animals to be used?

I guess my review of the magazine would be praise for the articles, in a
novice or a non-ferret owners view.  The articles were well written and
informative.  It is the photos where I wished they would have worked a
little harder on.