From:
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 08:07:08 -0700
>From:    Dan Kinney <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Totally Ferret/Choosing foods

We also agree Trish Curtis has shown that her sincerity and devotion are
without doubt.

And to reiterate her statements:

>>"Any vegetable matter that ferrets eat has the potential to cause serious
>>health risks/problems."

And this
>>"Animals are not like humans in that they need variety in their diet to
>>stimulate interest in food" - flies in the face of my own experience.

The first is a bit too strong perhaps.  The second though matches our
experiences as well.  There is a potential for harm from vegetable matter
treats but it is usually quite small.  I am aware of the story Trish
mentioned and will not comment on it.

Extreme caution and moderation in fruit treats is fine.  But do not force
treats on ferrets.  Especially fruits or vegetables.  If they wnat a raisin
now and then - empasize again extreme moderation - let them have a treat.

These treats are not good for them.  But in very small quantities they don't
hurt too much.  Dr. Williams has stated such and is in the position to
know as well as nearly anyone.  Dr. Tom Willard is a dear friend of ours
and knows ferret nutrition better than probably anyone.  He urges folks
not to give these kind of treats but that is mostly on a factual basis of
nutrients.

Treats even if "bad" increase the pscychological enjoyment of life even for
ferrets.  They do not crave a change in diet.  They do not want a different
base food every day the way humans normally hate to eat the same food
everyday but that is not the same as wanting an occaisional treat.  Its not
a contradiction to offer treats but also to not continually vary the diet.

Dr. Williams if I remember correctly had said not more than a single raisin
and I think that was a day.  He is probably erring on the side of caution
but thats fine.  Offer cantelope only in small enough pieces that its no
more than a raisin size piece a day and you should be fine.

Of course you can always use Pam Grant's (and others) trick of using a
different kibbled food as a treat.  Or you can use things like meat and
bones that more match a carnivores diet than dried grapes anyway.

>From:    Sevald Cirkov <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Any experience with this food?

Sounds okay.  Rice and barley as I understand are more digestible than corn.
Too low in fats so like the 8in1 you are sort of forced to help out with
supplemented fats (i.e. Ferretone/Linatone)  You need to be very cautious
with these fatty acids as well.  The recommended amount on the labels is
based as much on selling more product as good nutrition.

>From:    BRIAN <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Food, and baths (how to keep a ferret clean)
>I need to bathe him because he gets smelly.  I clean all the bedding once a
>week, Should i do that twice a week?????

Until you try it you won't believe it but wash your much less frequently.
It goes against what you would expect but it works.

The more you clean the bedding the better everyone will smell.  As an
incentive cleaning the bedding is easier than cleaning the ferret so it
makes your work load less.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/