From:
Amy McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:48:47 -0800
I recently visited the Petopia.com website & noticed "There's a Ferret in
my Stocking," a list of things you'll need to give or get a ferret for the
holidays.  I felt the need to write them about a few things on the list
that needed clarification, etc.  Please give me your feedback on the collar
issue; I heard that information at a ferret show & it scared the heck out
of me!

Thanks  guys...
Amy & da stinky mushy butts (Nina, Miya, Rascal, & Jack)

I just visited your website & there was a list of things you need if you
plan on giving a ferret as a gift this holiday season.  First of all, a
ferret is a very unique animal to have as a pet in that they require a lot
of specified care.  We ferret owners try to discourage people when they
want to buy a ferret until they have read &/or understood all that comes
along w/ ferret ownership.  Ferrets are wonderful animals, but often people
do not know what they are getting into (especially if the ferret is given
as a gift) & these pets end up in shelters, just as a dog or cat would in
the same situation.

Referring to your list "There's a Ferret in my Stocking!" there are a few
things that need to be changed...

First of all, a ferret should not wear a collar if it is kept in a cage -
some ferret have gotten their collars caught on a piece of wire in the cage
& hung themselves.  If the ferret is deaf, it may help to have a bell
collar on it to find it while it is out playing, but otherwise a harness
would be the best thing to use because they cannot get out of it as easily.
They should only wear it when going for walks, to the vet, etc.

Bedding is very important - you were right about the cedar shavings but ALL
wood should not be used, also cat litter that is dusty can cause respritory
problems & skin irritation.  The best thing to use is something like
Yesterday's News which comes in a non-dusty pellet type form.

I've never heard of Mite Powder for cats being used on a ferret.  If a
ferret develops ear mites, the vet can prescribe an ointment that takes
care of that problem.

Otherwise you are right on track.  I know your affiliates sell ferrets, &
I'm sure they'd like for people to go to them for their ferret needs, but
you have to emphasize the extent to which a ferret is dependant on it's
owner & the special care it may need now & in the future.  Ferret shelters
all over the country are overflowing because people buy these pets for
presents for their kids & the kids lose interest.  The parents do not want
to keep the pet if the kids will not care for it so they end up in a
shelter - sometimes into 3 or 4 homes before they find an owner who is
knowledgable enough about ferrets to keep them long term.  Maybe if you put
a link to a ferret info website w/ this list or any other info you have on
ferrets, then people can also research this pet before making their
decision.  Ferrets can live to be 8-10 years old, so they are not a short
term lifestyle choice/change as a gerbil or hamster would be.  They are
almost as long term as a dog would be.

Please take my suggestions into consideration & email me if you have
anything in reply.  Thank you very much for your time.