From:
Claire Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:52:38 -0400
On Apr 12, 2004, at 3:00 PM, Mary Conley wrote:
>Petroleum jellly comes from fuel.  When oil was discovered in
>Pennsylvania in 1859, (Robt.  Cheesebrough) found that a colorless
>film called "rod wax" collected around the pump rods on the oil wells.
>He saw the oil workers slapping the stuff on cuts and began to
>manufacture it.

Just a correction here, on the history and supposed dangers of vaseline
--

According to memoirs which our family have, Erastus Johnson, a distant
cousin, actually invented Vaseline.  He and his brother had a small oil

That is the story according to Erastus's memoirs.  I don't know the name
of the manager; it might have been Robert Cheesebrough.

Vaseline was originally used as a digestive tonic.  A tablespoon a day
was supposed to keep you 'regular'.  Some people still take mineral oil
(also a petroleum product) in this same way.  So petroleum jelly has well
over a hundred years of 'testing' and is considered non-toxic.  Vaseline
is a brand name; the generic name is petrolatum.

The Material Safety Data Sheet says
"EU main hazards: not classified as hazardous".
"Carcinogenic Status: not considered carcinogenic by NTP, IARC, and OSHA"
"Health Effects: Eyes: Contact may cause slight transient irritation"
"Health Effects - Skin:  This product is non-irritating to the skin and
 skin absorption is not associated with any health effects."
"Health Effects - Ingestion:  A large dose may have the following
 effects:  - nausea  - vomiting  - diarrhea  - abdominal pain  -
 intestinal obstruction "
"Firefighting measures: Not Flammable"

As far a ferrets ingesting it occaisionally, or using it to treat wounds
that might be licked, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Of course, I
wouldn't deliberately feed it or let them lick too much of it -- it is
a laxative-- but I think there is a lot of history demonstrating that a
bit of exposure will do no harm.

--Claire C.
(Sam, Frankie, Missy, Louie, Lilo)