From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 11:29:35 EDT
I hope that if you get any responses about heart murmers in ferrets, that
they post here so that I can learn as well.

Does your ferret have any typical markings from a neural crest disorder
such as a white stripe on top of its head (no mask and broken up markings
so that there is some white between the ears like a badger) or a white
head but a dark body?  What about other white markings on the body such
as white splotched belly, white feet, white elbows, white knees, or white
tipped tail?  I'm wondering because if your ferret has any indications
of such things then the deafness was congenital and not due to disease
or trauma more than likely.  And if this is the case, I"m curious about
hearts in these animals.  You see in other species, there are on some
occasions a problem with the formation of the aortic arch in the heart
if I read correctly.  Now would this create a murmer?  I dont know.  I'd
think a murmer is more with the vales and is benign?  I hope people
respond, because I'm curious.

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com