From:
melissa hooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 05:54:57 -0800
I have to get in on the dog breed discussion.  We have a black lab female,
named Lita, who is excellent with our ferrets.  Lita is 2 years old,
doesn't care to hunt anything but a sandwich, and likes to play.  Perhaps
it is because she has been raised in what amounts to a small zoo, but she
is really gentle with the ferts.  Occasionally we will remind her to stay
gentle, but she does so well that it's rare that we have to say anything.
The ferrets will run up and attack her and she just shakes them off.  She
loves to get down in the floor and roll around and play with them, and the
more the merrier in her opinion.  I would definately suggest either a lab,
or a lab mix, but like was already mentioned, try to get one that doesn't
have a huge hunting passion.

Also, all dogs are different, so they may not all be as gentle and loving
as Lita is.  You could try taking a fert with you when you go to check out
a dog, and watch the reaction very closely.  Also, keep the fert in your
arms, don't let it down to run and play with the dog.  Make sure that you
introduce them *slowly* once you find your dog and bring it home.

 :)Melissa