From:
Murray Mustelid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 04:33:51 -0700
Hi All, Show Sleuth here...

Thanks to everyone that replied to Show Sleuth, you all made me feel very
welcome and I like that fuzzy feeling!

I did want to make a couple of other comments, things that I thought of as
I was reading your messages and FML posts.

First: My apologies to Jerry for not mentioning him when I spoke of those
"running the show." I did indeed see Jerry there and saw him going from
vendor to vendor asking how they were doing -- this was a VERY nice touch,
I personally have never seen another show coordinator take the time to go
to each vendor like that.  Sure, some coordinators ask if they see a vendor
they know or if there seems to be a problem, but it appeared (and Jerry
stated) that he went to every vendor personally.  That is excellent, and I
for one can't say that "nobody cared" about any of the issues that were
brought up at the show.  Even as things were going wrong, apologies were
made, and they were sincere.

Next - when I realized I forgot to mention Jerry, it reminded me of
something that I thought was a GREAT idea that I'd like to see ALL shows
incorporate.  Jerry was wearing a shirt at the show that said, in very
large letters on the back of the shirt, "Show Coordinator." Brilliant idea!
This way when there was a problem, people knew who to go up to.  At some
shows, all involved in the show wear club/organization shirts, which isn't
a bad idea, but the problem is that everyone wearing a similar shirt
doesn't tell you who is in charge or who to go to with problems.  Just
because someone is in the club hosting the show doesn't mean that they know
how to handle the situations that arise.  Folks, if you have a problem at a
show, the first place you should turn to is the show registrar or the show
coordinator, these are the people that have put blood and sweat into the
show and can (and should happily!) address any problem that you have.

I think that what makes a great show is not what goes right and wrong, but
more how the host of the show handles things.  I remember a situation at
the Warm Fuzzy show in Leesport, PA.  When the items were put out at the
raffle table, lo and behold, one donated item was a bag of cedar chips.
Definitely a NO-NO at a show!  So for a while a few people milled about,
walking away from the raffle table muttering to others, "how awful, Warm
Fuzzy is endorsing the use of cedar chips!!" but the issue wasn't made
aware to those HOSTING the show.  Finally someone had the courage and sense
to mention it to the Hertzogs, and it turned out that they had NO idea it
was there and they were as appalled by it as everyone else was.  It was a
simple mistake, and immediately the chips were removed.  Wasn't that
simple? :-)

Final comment: Jerry mentioned in his last reply that he was thinking of
ways to get show scores out to exhibitors, and he mentioned mailing them
out with a letter of apology.  I'm not sure that is necessary.  My reason:
folks, remember what shows are for.  To raise money to help keep shelters
open and ferret causes furthered.  I think that most reasonable people
would not expect that money be spent, taken from ferret funds.  However,
Jerry brought up another excellent idea: putting the scores up on a
website!  Terrific, wonderful, another thing that other shows could take a
lesson from!  Granted, not all exhibitors have access to the internet, but
if coordinators simply asked on registration forms whether or not folks
have an e-mail address or not (some do, I realize that), then the only
people that would need to be mailed scores (or whatever in a case like
this) would be those without an e-mail address.  Jerry can put the scores
up on the website, and e-mail all exhibitors with a link to the site.
Great!  Furthermore, I think Jerry just inadvertently came up with another
great idea: forget mailing out confirmations from now on.  If the exhibitor
has an e-mail address, just email the confirmation letter and information
to exhibitors.  It's quicker, cheaper, and frankly, people like me won't
LOSE it!

I think that's it for now.  Show Sleuth will be back with another show
report soon, and may post from time to time with other general show
thoughts.  Thanks all for welcoming me!

Murray Mustelid the Show Sleuth