Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:57:48 -0500
There seems to be some misunderstanding about the AFA Spay Neuter Fund
for the Ohio rescue ferrets. Seems there are some folks who do not like
the AFA and lots of negativity and untruths are being spread through
selected folks in the ferret community. That said, I'm here to set the
record straight.

The AFA has a pot of money for helping shelters (including foster
homes of shelters) that took in the Ohio rescue ferrets. There are
some guidelines and procedures you have to follow in order to get a
disbursement. I won't go into all the details, they are on our website
at www.ferret.org click the Ohio ferret rescue link.

In a nut shell, you need to provide the following:

Historical proof that you ADV test your ferrets properly (instant
spit tests not acceptable). You just need to supply a copy of the
documentation you receive from either Blue Cross or Avecon dated at
least 3 months ago. You don't have to prove you have tested all the
ferrets in your care. One page with a few ferrets listed is fine.
Anyone who shows at an AFA show already has that proof - it's needed
to enter the show hall.

Historical proof that you vaccinate your ferrets. Xerox a couple of
pages of your shot records. We don't care what distemper vax you use
but you should be using imrab-3 for rabies. You don't have to prove you
vaccinate all the ferrets in your care. If rabies vax isn't required
for ferrets in your state, that's fine too. I don't see not having
historical proof of rabies vax as a huge issue at this point.

Proof that the ferrets are part of the Ohio rescue, proof they have
been vaccinated and fixed. For the Ohio ferrets ADV testing, CDV and
rabies vax are required.

If you don't like the AFA, trust me, we don't care. If you follow these
procedures and request a disbursement you will get it, as long as we
still have money to disburse. Personally I just don't see why any major
ferret issue has to cause so much pain and grief.

As for anyone involved in a major rescue effort and they receive huge
donations of time, money and supplies from companies and individuals,
then you had better have a detailed accounting of what you got and
where it went. Period. It's even more important if you are a 501c3.
Hence the paperwork the AFA is requiring in order to disburse these
funds.

[A later P.S.]
Oops, my bad. Too much in the nutshell. I have been corrected, you
don't have to provide historical proof of CDV or rabies vax. I do
show stuff, so go figure. :)

Here's the new nutshell, you need to provide the following:

Historical proof that you ADV test your ferrets properly(instant spit
tests not acceptable). You just need to supply a copy of the
documentation you receive from either Blue Cross or Avecon dated at
least 3 months ago. You don't have to prove you have tested all the
ferrets in your care. One page with a few ferrets listed is fine.
Anyone who shows at an AFA show already has that proof - it's needed
to enter the show hall.

Proof that the ferrets are part of the Ohio rescue, proof they have
been vaccinated and fixed. For the Ohio ferrets ADV testing, CDV and
rabies vax are required.

Vickie McKimmey

Director of Shows and Special Events
American Ferret Association, Inc.