From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 1995 09:52:20 -0500
I bought a new Macintosh a couple months ago to replace my tired old
clunker.  This model came with several CD's, including "The Family Doctor,
3rd Edition", written and edited by Allan H.  Bruckheim, MD, FAAFP.  I
finally had the time to look through this particular disk, and out of
curiosity looked up what it had to say about ferrets.  (I'll try to
paraphrase it to save BIG heartburn over copywrite laws.  ;>)

In the Questions and Answers sections under 'Pets" the question was asked;
My son is visiting a pet store where they have ferrets for sale and now he
wants one.  I understand that doctors don't think they make good pets.  Can
you help me?

The answer in essence was: You're right, doctors don't think that ferrets
make good pets.  They savagely attack babies.  Some think that it's because
the babies smell like baby rabbits to the ferret.  Some think that the smell
of milk causes them to attack the baby without provocation.  Many health
authorities consider them wild animals.  If the animal bites it has to be
destroyed.  Convince your son to get an animal that doesn't have these
dangers.

As I said, this was paraphrased.  I think I got the essence.  It is taken
from a nationally syndicated column by Tribune Media Services by Allan H
Bruckheim, MD, and now on CD ROM.

If anyone knows how I might write to Dr. Bruckheim I would appreciate his
address.  I would like to present him with some facts relative to ferrets as
pets.  (Ironically, on the same "page" as the warning about ferrets being
unsuitable as pets, are articles on "Cat-Scratch Fever".  I get the
impression that cats and dogs are suitable pets as far as the Doctor is
concerned.)

I imagine that this CD went out to millions of homes along with the
Macintosh computers.  It is the type of "information" ferret owners have
been fighting to correct for years.  These publications by "authorities"
make it very hard for knowledgable people to eliminate FFZ's and to get
quarantine rights established for ferrets.

Dick B.