From:
Stacia Debaun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 03:59:53 EDT
Hello everyone,

In the past week, I have been asked for help in finding homes for
ferrets by two separate individuals and approached about a third ferret
whose owners are wanting to find a new home for their little one.
Unfortunately I do not have the financial resources to take on any more
right now myself - believe me, I want to take all three of them, and it
would be SOOOO easy, but I simply can't do it.  It just wouldn't be fair
to my husband, the furkids already living here, or to these furkids
needing help right now.

Anyway, the ferret in the worst situation is a male being held at Animal
Care & Control in Marion County.  He is not in immediate danger, but we
need to find him a place to go by the beginning of next week.  He was
picked up by an AC officer as a stray and still must be held for four
more days before he can be released.  I have other no real details about
him other than that he is a male.

Contact phone number for this facility is: 317-327-1397 - other facility
information can be found at:
http://www.indygov.org/eGov/City/DPS/ACCD/home.htm

No specific pet information is available at the above address.  I also
do not know if they have changed their policies at this point and allow
individuals to adopt ferrets from their facility now (they didn't used
to), but if you are interested and they are unwilling to help you, PLEASE
contact me and I in turn can get you in touch with the kennel staff
member trying to help this little guy.

The second ferret is another stray that was either picked up by or
dropped off at a different animal shelter/animal control agency (Hamilton
or Hendricks County???).  This ferret is also a male, sable mitt with bib
from the description (although this might not be the best description).
The woman holding him right now is guessing him to be about 2-3 years old
and states that he appears to get along well with other ferrets.  I was
also told that he was very underweight and dehydrated upon being picked
up from the facility by her but that he has now started gaining weight
and appears to be generally healthy based on overall activity/energy
levels.  This guy is not in any real danger right now and can be kept
where he is for at least another month or two, but he will definitely
need to be placed into a forever home of his own and the sooner that
happens the better for him.  For anyone interested in this ferret,
please email me and I will in turn get you in touch with Donna.

There also is a third ferret that I have been approached about recently,
but the owner has yet to contact me again directly at this time.  The
owner had contacted me about six months ago wanting to know if I could
take the ferret and instead I offered to help try to find a home.  I
wasn't able to find anyone and she in turn decided to keep the ferret,
but apparently she has changed her mind again and asked my sister-in-law
last week if I would take the ferret in now.  This ferret also is not
in immediate danger, but from what I was told a new home is definitely
needed ASAP.  I don't have any of my original notes on this ferret but
I *think* it is a sable female around 4-5 years old....that could be
completely wrong though considering the amount of time that has passed
and the number of others that I've been called about since then.  If the
owner does contact me, I will probably be posting again with more
specifics, but figured I would include it now in case someone might be
able to help.  Again, if interested, please contact me so I can forward
your information on to the owner.

I would also like to request that if anyone on the list does decide to
contact the Marion County Animal Care & Control office directly to please
also drop me a note to let me know as well.

Feel free to cross-post this or pass along to anyone you think might be
able to help.

Thanks!
Stacia