From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:33:25 -0700
>I tried to give her some straight from the tube, like I've heard you can
>do, and she won't eat it.  How else can I give it to her?

Kelly....all of mine like the furball stuff from the tube (so does the
cat!).  However, I also have cat treats that also treat hairballs.  The
ferrets seem to like them too.  They are soft and work on both the cat
and the ferrets.

Last night when Pepper came out of the cage she was holding her back left
leg up.  When she walked she wouldn't put any pressure on it.  We check
her out and couldn't feel anything broke (I know you can't always feel
broken bones).  She played for about 5 minutes and then went to bed.  We
decided to let her rest and would check again in the morning.  (of course
I didn't sleep because I was afraid that when I woke up she would be
dead....I am a worry wort when it comes to my babies) This morning she
hobbled out of the cage but within 5 minutes she was running around and
barely limping at all.  By the time they had to go back to their cage you
wouldn't know that she was limping before.  We think she might have
twisted her leg either coming down the tube (they have a wonderful 4 story
cage with plastic bottoms on all levels) or stepping over the front door
gate (it opens down and adds as a ramp for them).  We are going to keep a
close eye on her and if she limps again we will take her to the vet.  My
question...finally!....is ...what over the counter pain medication can I
give to the ferrets?  I hate to see them in pain and would like to know
what I can and cannot give them.  I know I can give my dog motrin every
now and then (she is 12 years old and has arthritis) but not sure what
to give the ferrets.  Would a children's aspirin be ok?  Or another
children's medicine?  How much would be enough?  I would like to add this
to my first aid bag for them.  I looked in my Ferrets For Dummies book but
didn't see anything on this subject.  So, figured I would ask you all.

Joanne
Spice, Pepper
Flower and Bugs