From:
Victory Hegedus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 1996 15:23:12 -0800
Things have been so hairy recently with the holidays and moving the zoo that
I haven't been able to update you all, and pick more brains about Phanos.

Well here goes:
The blood tests came back they we're non-fasting the following are all the
significant abnormal findings.  Everything thing else is supposed to be
normal, we did a CBC with an electrolyte, and blood chemistry.

Note: the blood was hemolysed when recieved by lab

Creatinine               86 L  umol/l
Total Protein            81 H g/l
Sspt(alt)                48 L iu/l
CO2                      10 VL mmol/l
Calculated Osmalrity     310.9 H mmol/kg
Anion Gap                37 H
Creatine Phosphokinase   338 H iu/l
Amylase                  42 L units
Lipase                   760 H units

WBC                      2.0 L  10.9/l
Diff
Eos             20
Polys           300
Lymph           1640
Mono            40
Total           2000

Platelet Decreased

Manual PCV      0.54 l/l

Blood Glucose appears normal (non-fasting) 6.0 mmol/l

Urinalysis
PH      5.0
Sp Grav 1.053
Protein .15gl
Blood   trace
Bilirub 1+
Urobil  680ml

Phanos presented with increased drinking, returning to cage to rest during
playtime, and one observed episode of freezing for min. 3 minutes.  Since
that time we have noticed increaesed sleeping time, and slower to arouse
from sleep then normal.  There has been a small amt.  of weight loss as
well.  He appears to be eating.  And uses the litterbox, although stools are
a bit moister.  He is presently on Enalapril 2.5 once a day.  The vet
believes it could be cardiomyopathy, but is unsure.  Since we began the meds
6 days ago there appears to be little change.

Phanos is our most mischivious and gregarious ferret, his becoming quieter
is an alrm for us.  He is the one who always gets in trouble.  That hasn't
been happening recently.

I know that there are some vets, and very ferret medially knowledgable
people, I would appreciate any comments or suggestions to be e-mailed to me
personally, please.  I realize that whatever he has it's probably chronic I
just want to make sure we are on the right track.  Something tells me there
is something else happening, but I'm not sure.  Plaese help.Thank you.

Victory

Welcome to
 THE      *     * *     * *
Phanos- how else can I get into trouble ?
Xienna- I want to play, now!!
Nickles- Mommy they're looking at me...
Dante-the Lasting One
Misty- I will protest if one more ferret arrives here
and Mark-Am I the only sane human here?