From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 06:27:51 -0800
Ok, guys.  If you're in the Atlanta, GA area, I need your help.

I know this is not exactly fert related, but I thought someone out there
might be able to help me.  My little sister, (not so little, really, she's
23) just got excepted to do her doctoral program at Emory University in
Atlanta, GA.  Yeah!!

But there is a problem.  She has a cat.  A lovely longish-haired white cat
with one green eye and one blue, and no hearing.  This cat is always sweet
to me, but appearantly plays the bite-mom game a lot with Jen, and Jen is
convinced the cat is at least a little crazy.  Don't get me wrong, Jen
loves her kitty.

The problem arises when we consider Jen will now make the move from
Lincoln, NE to Atlanta, GA, and then begin an intense 5 years of study.
Also, while she was down their for her interviews, she managed to look at
some places.  Only corporate-owned type complexes, and she thought they
were all really nice, but they require a $700.00 pet deposit across the
board.  She NEEDS a place within a short distance from school, and though
the university is fully funding her, she won't have a great deal of money.

She is considering finding a new home for Lily here in Lincoln, but
worries she will not be able to find another person willing to care for
her, since she is not exactly a nice cat sometimes.

I don't exactly agree with Jen's attitude toward her cat right now, but I
can understand her feeling it hard to justify a $700 expense for her cat
when she doesn't have that money.  I can also understand that under the
circumstances, Lily might be better off with someone who will be more able
to give her attention.  Jen will be throwing herself into her studies for
the next 5 years, to include trips into the field, where Lily would be
alone.

So, can anyone help with rescources for something more pet-friendly in
the area of Emory?  I don't think Jen wants to live in a complex, I think
she'd prefer something like an old house converted to a duplex.  I'd like
to encourage Jen to keep Lily, if only because she made a committment to
her.

I guess I could also ask, does anyone know someone in either Lincoln, NE,
Atlanta, GA or indeed anywhere in between, who would like a very pretty
deaf cat who acts a great deal like a rotten ferret?  She is spayed and
has been front-declawed, and other than her deafness has been a very
healthy kitty.  She likes to ride on backs, and knock things off shelves,
and stick her nose in potted plants.  She would be perfect for an already
ferret-proofed home.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Melissa Barnes
Mira, Tasha, Robin, Nietzsche, Samurai and O'Dell
Missing Cael and Booboo always