From:
Deborah Micklea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 12:54:29 -0400
Jeff asked about ferrets and dogs.  I have a two year old labrador retriever,
and she and the ferrets love each other.  It DID take training: We just had
to start slowly.  I'm *definately* not an expert (I've only had my fuzzies
since February) but this is what worked for me (this is more for training the
dog than the ferret, but thought I'd send it along anyway in case there was
anyone who could use it):

First:  I put the ferrets in a travel cage and let the dog lay down and sniff
them from the outside.  She was told in no uncertain terms that barking and
growling at the cage was not allowed. If she stood up the cage was pulled
away. If the ferrets got too upset I pulled the cage away.   I think it
helped the fuzzies because they felt "safe" inside their kennel, and could
get used to the sight/smell of the dog without feeling threatened.   Once
that was successful:

Second:  The dog was told to lay down and was allowed to sniff the rear end
of the ferret while I held it (in case any aggression was shown at all I
could pull the ferret away).  When that was no longer a problem she could
sniff all the ferret-and the ferret could sniff her-with me holding the
ferret.  If the dog stood up the ferret was pulled away.  I could also
quickly pull the ferret away if the ferret got upset.
After that:

Third:  I put the dog on the bed and made her lie down (it was easier for me
to control both dogs and ferrets on a smaller surface, yet I didn't want to
put them in a small room because I didn't want them to feel trapped.)  I let
the ferrets slowly walk around her for short periods, gradually increasing
the play periods each time.  Once again, if the dog stood up I pulled the
ferrets away (she could "crawl" around so she didn't have to stay perfectly
still).  Inappropriate play by dog or ferret was discouraged.

I'm no expert, but this is the method that worked for me.  Now the dog and
ferrets love to play with each other!  They like the ferret games hide and
seek, and ambush (where the ferret hides and the dog gets ambushed when she
sticks her nose in.  They also enjoy the dog game "pretend to bite" which is
really where they stick their open mouths side by side and move their
heads-no teeth or fur involved!).  The dog doesn't show any aggression (she
once even had a baby ferret hanging off her lip and she didn't care!) and
knows to lay down to play with them (so she doesn't step on them and harm
them!)

I DO STESS however that their play is ALWAYS supervised with me right there.
Animals CAN be unpredicable at times, and sometimes the dog thinks she can
"cuddle" into the ferrets by rolling into them.  OOPS-  but she is learning,
and all of them have a great time!

Sorry this is so long-I hope it helped

Deborah, Mahra (the lab), Tygger,Tassie,Pooh,and Pongo(the ferrets)!