From:
"Larry C. Lyons" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 14:23:54 -0400
At 02:00 AM 5/4/02 -0400, you wrote:
>How many of you totally love your ferrets but have experienced these awful
>diseases like insulinoma, adrenal and so many other worse ones and have
>come to the conclusion that after your ferrets cross the bridge you will
>not get anymore ferrets?  I have to admit that once my ferrets go I will
>not be getting anymore.  But only because I will be responsible and admit
>I cant pay the vet bills it takes to keep them dooking.

Lisa,

I would definitely get other ferrets.  So far we've had to deal with
adrenal, and now insulinoma, in one ferret.  In another its been
heliobacter.  At the same time however most of the gang of 4 have been
healthy.  We may not purchase a ferret from a pet store again, because
of issues of early neutering etc., but that doesn't mean we are not going
to get any more ferrets.  We like the animals too much.  Rather we'll
probably go for late neutered ferrets from private breeders that use
European and Australian stock.  Those lines appear to be more resistant
to adrenal and insulinoma.

regards,
larry