From:
Judith Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 16:32:12 EST
Some weeks ago I wrote about my 7-year-old ferret Steppi, who has had
lymphosarcoma since (at least) June of '95.  He gets a quarter-tab of
prednisone daily, and on the two occasions when his dose was delayed by
10-12 hours, his paw began to redden and swell a bit.  The swollen paw was
the first sign of his illness, and it really looked like a case of ringworm.
He has lost some weight in spite of getting a big blob of Nutri-Cal every
day, but he's still reasonably active and obviously enjoys life.

Anyway, last week I found a marked-down jar of shark cartiledge capsules at
PetsMart and began giving him a dash in his Nutri-Cal.  The powdered
cartiledge is described as containing proteins,mucopolysaccharides, calcium
& phosphorous, all of which I assume he's getting in his Totally Ferret or
could get from any form of cartiledge.  Of course I've heard the hype about
this stuff curing cancer, but I've never heard why shark cartiledge is
supposed to be able to get mammal cells to do what shark cells do (or don't
do - get cancer.)

Does anyone out there have any experience with shark cartiledge - or am I
just making Steppi's "tuna breath" worse?  Let me hear from you, and of
course I'll post any dramatic changes in Steppi's condition, for better or
worse.

[log in to unmask] Date: 03/25/96 Time: 16:32:12