From:
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 00:36:01 -0800
>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: VETS, anyone passing this on to vets:  AVAR
>Well, it may be done as far as he is concerned but if their AVAR employee
>keeps publicly saying things in AVAR correspondence just off-the-cuff
>which call for the destruction of an entire genetic group (She talked
>about sterilizing all domestic ferrets and letting them die out in one
>generation and ignored that they are genetically very different from wild
>polecat/ferret species.), opposing legalization in FFZs, etc.

Those are basic tenets of Animal Rights.  AVAR chose their name for a
reason.  This is what we expected based on their name.  Animal rights is
NOT an extension of the animal welfare movement.  If you do not want to
believe us in particular please research the topic.

>it sure appears that a lot of their members and donors are unaware of
>this.

Absolutely.  The animal rights movement is one of the worst areas in what
can only loosely be called charities for extremely misleading seeking of
donations.  It does not matter what the rank and file members of an
organization believe in if all decisions are made from the leadership when
leadership is not chosen from with in the membership.  You are aware that
Nedim C Buyukmihci isn't just a board member, he's a founder of AVAR.  Of
course the AVAR is made in the image he wanted.

In our opinion, many of the members of AVAR are being treat as dupes.  They
are being lied to and stolen from by that not being made clear enough.

I'm so sorry Sukie but there are organizations that are out to destroy the
very concept of being able to have a pet ferret that approach it from the
side of animal rights.  PETA, AVAR, and HSUS all spring to mind.  All give
talk that sounds good such as supporting shelters (though none actually do
themselves to any reasonable extent) but they want ALL breeding of ferrets
(as well as other pets and livestock) to cease permanently.

Animal rights is not how to make for happy ferrets forever.  Its how to end
all suffering through genocide via total neutering.

The AVAR case is particularly interesting in that it is a scam organization
recruiting membership that they intend to put out of business before they
would be ready to retire.  The irony of that is so bitter.  We can not for
the life us us figure out why a veterinarian would support this group.

>From:    Jaime De Castellvi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Misc...
>No owner is responsible to his/her property for its upkeep and proper
>care; in theory s/he may do it with it as s/he chooses, either taking
>good care of it, getting rid of it or smashing it to pieces.

Actually in many many cases they are.  Car inspections.  Trigger lock
laws.  Homeowners covenants.  Animal abuse laws.  Dumping laws and EPA
regulations.  Property that is designated historical.  Lots of things.

>I feel that in time a more enlightened attitude would differentiate
>between unorganic and "live" property, with clearly delineated and
>inequivocal responsibilities on the part of the owner towards the latter.

Current law DOES differentiate.  Animal welfare is about making those
laws better.  Ferrets can indeed remain "proprty" in the eyes of the law
yet still have regulations about the proper care of them.  Don't expect
de-regulating Republican mindset officials to work for this too much.
Though they should be the same ones to push for making ownership of
ferrets easier.  <shrug>

b&d
--
bill and diane killian