From:
"Voorhees, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:07:00 -0400
Hi,

I have fished since I have been old enough to walk.  I believe that I have
discovered the greatest addition to the sport.  I had an old fishing rod
with a broken tip (actually it was new and just happened to get caught in
the car door (shhhh!  dont tell my wife)) laying around.  I cut the handle
off.  The grips where foam and I wanted to be safe.  I then tied 5 feet of
cotton string (again safer than nylon) to the end of the fishing rod.  I
tied the other end of the string I added a "Chew Weasel".  Add one fish
(Ferret) and the fun begins.  Unlike real fish the furry fish never seem to
understand that the bait ("Chew Weasel") is attached to something.  They
(the furry fish) always bite, at least until they fall over and collapse.
The fight that they put up is amazing.  At times it is hard to hold the end
of the rod with one hand.

My son sets the bait to spinning about a foot of the floor.  The ferret
will run in circles leaping madly till my son can not hold the rod up for
laughing and the ferret catches the bait.  Once the bait is grabbed the
fish (with fur) immediately heads for structure (high tech fishing term for
sticks/weeds other places to hide in a lake).  For a furry fish this means
under the couch.  A major tug of war always results which is difficult to
win.

Once the fish is near exhaustion they are allowed to win.  At this point
the bait is dragged off to where they (the furry fish) know one will find
it.  Alas they forget that the rod is still tied to the bait.  Hoomans 1
ferrets 0.  It really saves on the chewy things.  The ferrets get exercised
till they drop.

The only negative is when the ferret had the rod bent double and let go.
The bait flew up hit the rapidly spinning ceiling fan nearly giving the
fisherman (me) a heart attack.  This also resulting in lost points with
the head hooman (wife).  One can not win them all.

It is great went your favorite fishing hole is the couch and the fish are
always biting.

Bruce
"The Ferrret" aka Casanova till family (ie my wife and son) agree on
something else.