Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:28:43 EDT
I had a number of people asking me or writing me about the judging part of
the Chicago Ferret Show.  *** I do not know anything about the judging part
of the show.  I have never entered a ferret in the judging, and may well
die never having had a ferret judged.***

The big reason I go to the Chicago Show aside from supporting the shelters
there is to entertain my children: my ferrets.  They get to smell new
smells.  Their little noses wiggle and wrinkle and scrunch as they go into
new odors heaven.  They get to socialize with other ferrets, play with
children, walk around on their leashes indoors in a large area where they
can snoop and run, and hear sounds they never hear in my silent home.  And
butt sniffing?  All new butts to sniff!!  Wow, was that exciting!!!!  Socks
jumped like a kangaroo when he found a new butt to inhale.  It was
hysterical.

The judges held on to each ferret for a really long time.  They do not
cuddle or kiss or play with the ferrets.  The awards seem to be for the
people really.  My guys would not enjoy being examined for such a long time
as I see the judges scrutinizing each ferret.

Besides, with two deaf sillys, two ferrets with cancer, two biters- and all
but one of my guys being either an abandoned, starving, or extremely sick
animal I rescued---I would not allow a stranger to hold my ferret for such
a long time without me there to talk to it or touch it.

I never want my little ones to flash for even a split second on whether or
not they are being deserted or given away.  Who can say what my ferrets
might think??  One of them lived at a shelter in a cage all alone for two
years.  They have all had enough stress.

But my ferrets appeared to love the show.  They have dooked like crazy for
the last two days.  And boy, did they weasel war dance!!!

Anyway, I have nothing at all against judging ferrets.  I just do not know
anything about that aspect of the Chicago Show.  However, I give a big
thumbs up on the butt sniffing and ear cleaning experiences that clearly
was a big hit with my guys..

Lisette