From:
STARFerret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 11:23:04 EDT
If you REALLY want to do something for our companion animals, consider
getting legislation passed in your state for one or both of the following:

Animal Welfare items:

1.  Require that no domesticated companion animal (puppy, kitten, ferret,
rabbit) be sold to the public until it is 8 weeks of age.  This is to insure
that pets are not shipped or sold too young, before they have developed
socializing skills, able to eat solid food on their own, and other benifits
to the animals as well as to the new owners.

2.  Require that any USDA licensed facility which sells domesticated
companion animals (puppy, kitten, ferret, rabbit) to the public, only sell
neutered animals.  This is in an effort to reduce random or accidental
breeding and to prevent pet overpopulation.  USDA facilities cover breeders
to pet shops, animal wholesalers and brokers, pet shops, etc.  There are
already plenty of shelters filled with cats, dogs, ferrets and rabbits to
warrent a population slowdown for companion animals.

Marshall Farms already meets the second item, why not make the first one a
legal requirement as well?  This will benefit all pets, not just ferrets,
yet put ferrets on the same level as dogs and cats.  We have the quarantine,
now it is time to start a new campaign to protect the pets in our
population.

If EVERY state put something like these actions in place, we have taken a
giant step towards pet protection and welfare.  But we can't expect the
breeders or pet shops to do this voluntarily, there needs to be a law to
enforce.  Anyone interested in starting something in their state?

Pam / STAR* Ferrets