From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:42:11 -0700
>From:    Richard Nixon <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: picking up ferrets--a question
>Does anyone besides Ed know of a ferret who has been injured by being
>picked up with the "one-handed snatch away?" Is it a common injury?

Not in our experience.  Injuries from recliners, trapped beside sewing
machines, cages falling on their tails, being stepped on, oter ferrets,
dogs, but never from being picked up.

We have read in older ferret books that ferretsshould be handled gingerly
but we aren't so sure they are that fragile.

>I am only interested in ferrets who were injured as a result of
>*normal* handling and not ones injured by children or the like.

Oh and we personally do not know of a ferret injured by a child.  We've
never even heard of a report of a ferret injured by a child.  We can
certainly see it as a possibility but don't know of an instance.

>From:    Tara P <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: midwest-ferret playpen problem
>Here is my problem scooter loves pulling on the ladder when he is sitting
>next to it, usually the ladder falls.

Our answer is to not use the ramps.  Ladders and ramps are more for
people than for ferrets.

>From:    Richard and Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Weighing your ferrets
>Its capacity is 2kg which is roughly equal to 4.5 lbs.  This should
>accommodate MOST ferrets.

Heh heh heh... Right... It would work great for our jills and our younger
kits anyway.  Most of our hobs would peg that scale in winter weight.
Elvis would need one for each end...

--bill
--
bill and diane killian