From:
Nikki Kimura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2011 01:52:54 -0700
Honestly, most of the checkpoints aren't even occupied. Our state is
poor and doesn't have to means to keep people stationed. Depending
which state you're coming from, will affect the method of travel....

I have a friend who lives in both San Francisco and Las Vegas. He goes
back and forth often. Often being every few months. He said the border
by the Vegas side is never occupied. He always drives through no
problem w/o stopping.

The Reno checkpoint is occupied sometimes. If there are agents there,
they will ask if you have food/fruit with you. If you say no, they
will wave you by. However, if you have a license plate from not a
neighboring state, they may stop you. But I know many people who have
gone through this border no problem with ferrets. Just keep your ferret
stuff hidden and fuzzies out of sight and you'll be fine. The majority
of Northern California ferrets go through the Reno border. And let me
tell you, there are a lot of ferrets here... And not too long ago, I
just had a friend from Kentucky bring in 2 of his ferrets through the
Reno, Nevada border no problem. He didn't want to risk the check point,
so he drove around it through a residential area. It was a 10-15 minute
detour. If you email me, I can give you the directions.

I don't have experience with the other check points. But there are
directions here <http://www.ferretsanon.com/avoidthecheckpoints.html>
to avoid them. Try contacting the site for assistance as well. They're
based in Southern California. I'm sure if you asked, someone can help
transport your ferrets. Having a California license plate helps. (the
check point in Reno usually just waves people with California plates
through without stopping) The site given also has a list of some, but
not all California ferret vets. I just recommend contacting the site
for a vet recommendation as well since they are familiar with SoCal
vets.

I'm sure you and your ferrets will be fine. California doesn't have
the most ferrets in the country for nothing ;)

Good luck and welcome to California,
Nikki