From:
Erika Matulich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 06:41:35 -0400
>I went in, grabbed one 30lb (or are they 40lbs each?) bag in each arm
>and sauntered up to the register.

>40.  Come on go for three and you'll be carrying almost your body weight.
>Thats something I can't do even though at our place I am the designated
>heavy stuff carrier.  (Gets me out of other chores I'd like less so I
>don't complain one bit.)

Hey, I'm only 5 foot 2 inches (and a middle-aged female!), and I have no
problem slinging around two 30-lb bags of TF ferret food.  50-lb sacks of
horse oats are unwieldy because of size, but if someone stacks on me, I can
handle a couple.  90-lb sacks of concrete are better as singles.  Granted,
this does not total my body weight (wish it did!)

However, I have one ferret, Thor, who loves to pull around my vacuum
cleaner, which weighs 10 pounds, while Thor only weighs 2.  My one-pound
female Misty can steal a guitar or a heavy purse, both of which easily
outweigh her.  Stevie steals loaded briefcases that are at least triple his
weight (but only leather briefcases).  Little Bear tries to steal people,
but she has not been very successful in this endeavor.

Why is it that people are challenged by handling things equivalent to their
body weight and ferrets love to drag things around that weigh 5 times as
much as they do?

- Erika and the Terrific 10

P.S.  I am not advocating that you humans out there suddenly try to lift
their own body weight to test this observation -- I work out fairly
regularly and am healthy.  Nor am I telling you to plop a heavy object on
your fuzzie to see if s/he can lift it!