From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 18:22:49 EDT
Hi Heidi--

Glad you got the correct info from Delta and your tickets straightened out!
I flew from Florida to Mass. on Delta with one ferret and it was actually
relatively painless.  The worst part was all the worrying :-)

Here are some tips I found helpful, some of which originally came from
(current) MaFF president Jan Fleury:

Are you using a sherpa (flexible) carrier? if not and you are using a hard
carrier, you MUST know the specific type of plane you will be flying on, as
the measurements under the seat vary from plane to plane.

Standard procedure on domestic flights is to have an up-to-date health
certificate from your vet (gives vaccination history); I imagine it's the
same coming in from Puerto Rico.

Having shredded newspaper in the carrier makes it easy to dispose of soiled
paper quickly and without having to take out huge pieces of paper etc.

To keep odor down, I sprayed the outside of the carrier (not the fuzzies)
periodically with a small amount of Nature's Miracle (I think that's what
it was) which is non-toxic to them but helps absorb odors.

A lot of people put a few drops of "Rescue Remedy" (available at any health
store) in the ferrets' drinking water to help with stress before and during
the flight (humans can take it too, a few drops under the tongue).  It's a
tiny bottle and costs about $10 but you only use a couple of drops.  It's
made by Bach Flower Essences.

Don't forget to label the carrier with your name, address, phone number
(where you're going), etc.

It helps if you act as if you know what you're doing and matter of factly
present your ticket, the health certificate, the info about the ferrets'
ticket, etc.  as if it's no big deal and everything is in order (which it
is).  Will make you feel better too!

Once you've done all the preparations, relax and enjoy the flight.  Best
wishes and enjoy your new home!

Ronnie in Mass.