From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 09:04:57 +0300
Kathy alerted me to potential USDA-quarantine needs for the donkeys,
and she is right. Minimum of 3 days, @$1200/donkey, and the potential
for a lot more. It's the uncertainty of how long and the unknown
potential costs that dims the possibility for importing Edilegnya and
Sophie.

I have a tentative local solution -- Abrahame's father, Negusse, treats
his animals well, according to Abrahame. Not that Abrahame's standards
are very high, but it's something.... Also I've seen Negusse's working
donkey, Bulla (Tan One), and he looks fine and unafraid (I must do a
more detailed inspection). Also, Negusse also has an "old" donkey,
Tikoor (Blackie), that he keeps feeding etc, whereas he could leave
Blackie out to fend for himself, including fending off the hyenas.

Negusse would like to own Sophie since she produces children and he
could sell them. He could also use Sophie for work between infants.

I made a tentative proposal to Negusse -- I'll give him Sophie, but he
must care for Edilegnya for the rest of E's life. I've sent for a kid's
digital camera w USB cable for Abrahame, and A must photograph the
animals and send me a weekly progress report.