Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2012 14:36:09 -0800
Sorry I haven't been posting much -- I haven't been reading the FML
much either. Just mostly skimming and not very often. And it is not
just the FML; I've become almost reclusive so I might squeeze every
second out of my day for the Ferret Project. I poke my head up on
Facebook once in a while, just so people know I am breathing.

The Ferret Project is progressing well. I always knew -- and told
people -- it would take as much as 4 years and could take as long as
6 years to complete. While the 6 year estimate is good for parts of
the Ferret Project, I think I the 4 year estimate was dead on for some
parts, including husbandry, diet-disease correlations, and dental
analysis.

It has been extremely frustrating having factual data and not being
allowed to release numbers. By the end of this year, after I write up
the data and have it reviewed, stuff will be released. Some of the data
will go a long way to answer many of the questions about ferrets and
their health.

*****

My Facebook friends have access to an in-depth article on ferret teeth,
including health implications. It is being posted a few pages at a time
as they are returned to me from reviewers. Because some of the parts
are very long and photos and diagrams are an integral part of the
article, I will probably not post them to the FML unless BIG can post
the entire doc (as a PDF or DOC) for downloading WHEN finished. That
might take a good while because my reviewers are doing me a favor and I
have no desire to prompt them to faster action. I have three reviewers
and I will not post a section until all three have commented on it.
When finished, I will also place the work on Google docs for friends
to download.

The finished article will be a chapter in an advanced ferret care book,
aimed at serious ferret owners, as opposed to the general market to
beginners. Because of this, I have asked people not to share the
article, but rather to direct people to me for a copy. I consider the
article to be a "Rough Pre-publication Draft -- Do Not Share or Cite."
I am making it available for individual friends to keep, but NOT share.
Once something gets on the internet, it is impossible to take it back,
and I really don't want to rewrite entire chapters. If my requests are
respected, I will post all the other chapters in a similar way. If not,
well, then I only have to rewrite one chapter.

If you are interested in reading the chapter on teeth, just 'friend' me
on Facebook, and you can read it as I post the pages after receiving
them back from the reviewers.

*****

I will be giving a brand new presentation on ferret husbandry (based on
Ferret Project lessons) at the ferret round-up to be held in Sacramento
CA March 24, 2012. Jeanne Carley will show photos (always excellent)
and Alison Parker will be showing an outstanding ferret film. I highly
recommend attendance for those who can; it is very reasonable in cost
and well worth it for Jeanne and Alison's presentations. You can get
information through Ferrets Anonymous, unless someone on this list
knows a better way.

I think I might drive to the round-up, taking a northerly route I-80W,
I-90W to Sacramento CA, and return via I-10E, I-30E, I-40E, I-70E. At
the moment, travel is in a flux, but should interested groups desire a
short talk or Q&A session, now is the time to ask. If I drive, I'll
leave about March 20 and return home about March 30. This year I won't
be dashing home ASAP to my son's wedding, so the schedule will remain
firm.

Bob C