From:
poleKATparsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 06:21:46 -0700
>From:    Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
>
>After seeing Tina's post about the little deaf one in Pennsylvania we
>have been talking.  I'm going to give her a forever-home here at the
>farm.  Although she doesn't yet know it's called "The Funny Farm," by
>family and friends she will soon find out.
>
>So I'll need lots of information about deafness from those of you who
>have deaf fuzzies...

mary...
congratulations on the new kid...:)

i have/have had several deaf kids...i treat them NO differently than the
others... but here is a good site to help...if you need it...
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/deaf.html

as for them not hearing their names...somehow mine do...or maybe my
hearing ones help them...i do not know...maybe they hear in their heart
but not their ears?  personally...i much prefer Ling-Ling for her
name...but you would know best what her name should be...:)

but really...they are no different than any of the other kids...maybe
they sleep a bit harder...and get away with a bit more...after all "they
can not hear...right?"

if there is a biting problem...training is required...my training has
always been the same for hearing as non-hearing...face to face...say "NO
BITE" strongly right to their face...they KNOW what you are saying...

that and giving them a feeling of being safe and secure...and loved...
forever...

this is what has worked for me...i just did what came natural to me...

oh..and i still talk to my deaf ferrets just as if they can hear me...
which they do...but on another level than with their actual ears...:)

good luck...
kat

=====
KITY=^..^=KAT's Fuzzy Frenzy [+13](-16)...
Check out http://ferretlover97.terrabox.com/ for my ShelterHelp pages!!!!
"The Royal Order Of Pooper Scoopers"
http://www.kwflatbed.com/hjg/hjg2.html

SOS/FML Shelter and Vet List...
http://SOS-ShelterList.supportourshelters.org

SOS Raffles...
http://raffle.supportourshelters.org/ or
http://us.1.p.geocities.com/shelter_ferrets_in_need/SOS-raffle.html

When you care about others....when you reach out to others....
 ...when you give of yourself to others...YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE!