From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 05:48:18 -0500
Oh please,
Sophomoric attempts will not be honored by me, some know this all too well
privately, and will learn the same conditions apply publicly.  I trust most
can see "beyond" the print at the real impetus of some posters comments.
No one's kidding anyone.  There is a vast difference between disagreement
and being disagreeable.  Enough said, for most of us any way.  Some may
have to read this twice.

Now the real issues.
These are valid issues concerning Marshall Ferrets and Marshall Research
practices and the campaign.

1) The receiving dates have been verified by the largest pet store retailer
in Florida selling Marshall ferrets.  Involving approximately 50 stores and
a main distribution center, the ferrets arrive at these stores at 5.5 - 6
weeks.  Assuming travel and distribution time, this would mean Marshall is
shipping at 4.5-5 weeks.  They arrive in cardboard boxes of which
approximately six to eight ferrets are dumped into a kiosk.  This early
separation from mother, surgical procedures, and commencement of dry kibble
is extremely premature by a large consensus of breeders and veterinarians.
Period.

2) Marshall's killing of "retired" jills at 4 years of age.  Please
understand Marshall has never denied this, even when asked directly by many
individuals of this practice.  Conservative reports from a variety of
resources estimate Marshall houses at least 30-33,000 breeders.  These jills
are killed in an unknown fashion as of yet though Marshall has been cited
for improper surgical and care practices.  According to these numbers,
Marshall represents the largest single source of ferret deaths.  This
statistic has caused great concern for many, many individuals AND
organizations for some time.  Marshall continues to stonewall.  This history
is a matter of record.

3) Attempts *were* made to rescue these jills.  Marshall offered to "sell"
these jills for approx.  $60 a piece instead of killing them.  This offer
was not feasible for the shelters and organizations involved.  These events
are a matter of record.

4) Dr. Judith Bell, DVM, and past "employee" of Marshall has been silenced
under legal pressure to respond to these concerns and questions.  Some
Marshall protagonists have even suggested Dr. Bell left because of some
imaginary right wing terrorist group threatening Marshall.  Yep.  Again,
these events are a matter of record.

5) The AFA has continued to fail to simply ask Marshall to answer these well
established concerns.  Why?  This seems like a reasonable question.  On the
other hand, Marshall is dumping resources into the legalization of ferrets
in CA.  People, if we don't check ourselves, we may be very sorry later on.
If you wonder how puppy mills were allowed to become so well established,
wonder no more.

6) Marshall actively *promotes* the use of research ferrets and is the
largest distributor of such.  In many cases, they are the sole supplier.
Now some may not be concerned about this, but others invariably will be.
No rumor, no innuendo.

If anyone says I am pursuing Marshall, you bet.  And I will continue to do
so until Marshall, not Bill Killian, responds to these issues and these
matters are resolved.  I am aware of no other breeder that has consistently
displayed such disinterest in its customers and their concerns.  These are
but a few of the concerns regarding Marshall and many other concerns have
been raised including accelerated breeding cycles.  Now, some can continue
to ignore these issues, and just pet their own fuzzies.  But there is a
campaign mounting that will compel Marshall to respond to these questions.
Some other organizations are doing what they can, but individuals can also
take action.  A list of Marshall Ferret retailers, large and small, in the
US *is* being collected along with all pertinent data.  This data will then
be verified and filed.  At the appropriate time, these retailers will
receive a list of these concerns electronically, by mail, by phone, and in
person: in due, appropriate, and certain fashion.  While Marshall may
continue to ignore its individual retail customers, I firmly believe these
retailers will not and can not, and Marshall *will* listen to them.
Marshall has the ability to cease this action at any time by coming forward
in a satisfactory method and resolving these issues.  This campaign will
succeed.  It's up to us.  If you want to call this bashing, go ahead.  We
just want answers, and we believe we deserve them.  If anyone feels they
deserve these answers please contact me.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi