From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2005 13:18:22 EDT
Barbara, I've recieved a lot of replies to this privately in addition to
the replies on the FML.  I am floored at how many options and various
meds their are to choose from.  One thing stands out, and that's that
different ferrets can react differently to various methods sometimes.
An important consideration is time, which is exactly what you pointed
out.  No matter what method you choose, the more time the better.  It
seems like when it's rushed is when I see problems.  Even if it is a
heart stick.  Take the time in sedating (or od'ing really) the ferret,
and it seems to me there is less reaction to the mercy shot.  Seems
like that was across the board with responders (and many of them did
not realize it).

The method you just wrote about is not one that I've heard about.  So
gosh, yet one more to think about.  I think one thing that I'm going to
do, is get a tranquilizer like Danee suggested or the drug that you use,
and give it at home first.  Enough to knock him out a bit at home, in our
arms.  Then we can drive to the vet without him even knowing.  Then the
vet can do whatever it is that they want to do, which is usually two
more steps (a sedative, then some sort of injection).  It seems gentler
and slower that way.

What's more, I never have held a pet during the process.  That would make
it less clinical to Sean if he could hold Rocky so I'm going to remember
to request this.

This is a great conversation.  I never knew that there was so much to
learn.

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com