From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 23:25:36 -0400
Condolences to those with lost, sick or angeled masked bandits...

Chewy has now been here with the rest of the organization for four full
days now.  He has adapted rather nicely! :)   I let him out with the
majority of the bunch on Monday.  It lasted almost half an hour, before
Hershey Baby and Fuzzer got him into the laundry room.  It's small and he
didn't have many places to go.

First, Hershey Baby jumped him.  Fuzzer (surprisingly) acted as referee,
watching only...though very closely!  Hershey Baby and Chewy are an even
match.  Neither was able to get the upper paw with the other.  After about
60 seconds of watching, I put my hand in front of Chewy and kept Hershey
Baby from getting back into the tussle.  While I held Fuzzer and Hershey
Baby at bay, Chewy made good his escape.  I looked at the two boys and
told them to show some manners!  Hah!  Like they would listen!

About 15 minutes later, Fuzzer found Chewy.  Now, Chewy is a pretty husky
boy and has youth on his side.  However, Fuzzer know tricks that Chewy
knows nothing about!  The squabble this time lasted about two minutes.
However, Chewy was NOT going to back out of this one!  I finally reached
down and scooped him up when he got close enough.

And get this...HE DIDN'T EVEN TRY TO BITE OR SCRATCH ME!!!  No nips, no
dirty looks, no foul language...nothing!  Well, he *did* do the bottle
brush tail bit, but I wasn't impressed.  I took him to his cage and
inserted him into same.  He wasn't happy, but he didn't freak out, either.
I gave him a new toy and he toss it around for quite a while, then pushed
it around for a bit with his nose (its a toy truck that comes in McDonald's
Happy Meals), appearing to enjoy making it roll around!  :) He now has two
cars, one truck and a jingle ball (he lays on his back and puts the ball
on his tummy, then shakes the daylights out of it with his paws! :) ), as
well as a small ball that he sleeps with.

Now, I have three different play times, though two of them merge for a bit.
I can let Chewy out when Taz is out and they don't fight!  Taz doesn't run
for his room, either!  The first time, he nose-dived into a convenient box
(which serves as a WWF Wrestling ring when the large bunch is out) and
poked his snout out to watch Chewy.  When Chewy came close to the box, Taz
would "bark" at him and Chewy would go away! :)  When I got close enough to
hear, it sounded like Chewy was chuckling at how silly Taz was being! :)
After Chewy went elsewhere, Taz would come out and play with a bag or one
of the toys laying around.  But when Chewy came back, Taz would dive back
into the box!

Of course, eventually, I would put Taz upstairs and let Chewy run around on
his own.  He came to investigate me several times, and even tolerated being
petted!  I also picked him up several times and held him, without suffering
even a slight scrape of a tooth or claw!  He bottle brushed the first few
times, but did not make any attempt to bite.

Now, I can reach in his cage to change newspaper, or pet him, or put in a
new toy, or even to fill his food dish, and he shows no fear or anger!  All
it took was a show of love and patience and lots of snacks! :)  Is there a
ferret dentist in the house?  heheheh!

Todd and the (Grand Wilshire Hotel we AIN'T!) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!
---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://giftsandcollectibles.sites.cc/
http://www.success.net/microlink/