Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 12:02:20 -0400
>The inquiry needs to ask for the IP address of the user that accesses
>the account that posted the video and a copy of said video. Once the
>ip address is found stick it into a website like
> http://aruljohn.com/track.pl .
>That should give you the ISP (Internet Service Provider) that the
>person gets their internet from. Then the law enforcement can hand
>that information over to the local authorities as it is most likely
>out of their jurisdiction.

Christopher, you are just rockin'! This is the kind of info we need for
the future.

Okay so, if you go to the police with the video, do you mean your own
local police? If you know where the video came from (as in Bunny's
case), do you just go straight to those police? Okay. Then, if that
does not work, you say to try Fish and Game ... I'm sure in a place
like Jersey, that would really be helpful. But I think in most states
ferrets are hands off to them, and I think they won't handle abuse
cases (at least here). So, okay, if you do go through the police, is
the Fish and Game really the best next choice, or would some animal
group be? If so who? The ASPCA (the national one, or do you go to your
local one, or is it best to go to the closest one in the same state as
the video was made?) ... someone else?

Whuchu think?

By the way, thanks for the discussion, and thanks for pointing out the
fact that at least one of the kids is underage. Its sensitive and you
don't want to look like a stalker causing trouble, etc.

[Moderator's note: It's not that simple. While that tool will get SOME
IP address info, it's rather simplistic and you often have to dig much
deeper. But after all that, you may find the person is using a huge
national provider, like AOL or Comcast and the location listed will
be that of the corporte headquarters which has no relationship to the
area of the poster. For that info, you need to get records for AOL, or
Comcast, or whomever, and they simply don't give out that info without
a court order. (Well, except as we have seen if the right person says
it's national security or something like that, but a drunken ferret
probably wouldn't qualify.) BIG]