From:
Jonathan Block <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 00:32:39 -0700
I don't know how many of you follow the RC5 contests that Distributed.net
has.  Basically, they are attempting to crack a 64 bit crypt.

Full information regarding the contest can be found at:
http://www.distributed.net/rc5/

The contest has a cash prize of $1000 to the finder of the crypt key,
$1000 to the team, $6000 to a non-profit org decided by vote, and $2000
to distributed.net for building the network and supplying the code.

My idea was to create a team of ferret lovers, and work together to win
this contest.  We could take the $2000 we'd receive and split it up among 8
shelters, (giving a $500 donation to each) and basically giving good press
to Ferrets in general.

I've been at it for 34 days by myself, and the team is already ranked at
5,535.  All the teams that are +/- 5 from have been working at it for 200+
to 400+ days.  So we're doing real well.

Now if we had more people running with us, we'd do even better.  (That and
once I get the proxy at the office working right, we'll double our current
workspeed)

You can see the team statistics at:
http://stats.distributed.net/rc5-64/tmsummary.php3?team=15214

If you're interested in joining, set yourself up with an account at
distributed.net, and then send me email for the team password.

Dooks to all, and here's hoping to your help.

Jonathan
& The (What the hell is a RC5?) Boyz