From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 12:04:36 -0800
>From:    Pam Franklin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Need help fast!
>The third time the htg didn't work and extensive surgery was performed and
>both adrenal glands needed to be removed.
         and
>My vet is very confident he removed all affected material.

These aren't necessarily the same.  Did he remove all of the two glands or
all he thought he had to?  I believe Dr. Kawasaki has talked about only
removing "most" of the scond adrenal gland.

We'd recommend the drugs.  Don't expect a long life ahead but in the case of
our Fuzzface she didn't seem to be in pain til the very last night.  If
anything she was happier and more energetic.  Get some advice from Dr.
Williams if you can.  He is a vet unlike me and more knowledgeable on
bi-lateral adrenalectomies - our experiences are a single case.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help with choking needed

Dr. Pam Slack of Virginia has shown us a way to help a choking ferret.  You
hold the ferret almost football like in your arm with the head in your other
hand.  Carefully thrust the ferret head first and jerk to a stop.  This can
help by allowing momentum of the obstruction to fling it from the mouth.
We've never had to try this.

>From:    STAC <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Overweight ferret...
>My female albino ferret has become quite overweight in the last month or so.
>She is about 8 months old.  She used to be an average weight for her sex and
>age and then she started gaining weight.  She seems a little less active in
>her cage, but when we take her out, it is dooking and playing time like
>normal.

Did she also grow a longer coat?  This is the start of winter when many
ferrets put on weight and get less active.  They can also grow their winter
coats.  Its not temperature based but amount of daylight so state of
residence has nothing to do with it.

And "accidents" with ferrets are not quiet affairs.  TWO ferrets have to be
in season not just the girl.

>From:    "Carl V. and Shannon Newman" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Giving liquid medicine

Giving liquids from syringes is fine but with caution.  You can squirt the
liquid down into the lungs and pneumonia is not fun.  We're careful to do
droppers or syringes at the back teeth with the "squirting" across to the
other cheek not down the throat.  It would be easier to go down but not
really safe.  I believe Dr. Williams has commented on this as well.  Have no
reason to suspect anything's wrong with what Shannon says she does, just a
reminder.

>From:    Maggie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: fussy fuzzies
>So when I took my fuzzies home they gave me sample bags of the 3 types and I
>was told to just watch for which one they prefer.  My problem is both jake
>and roxanne like two different types!

We slightly prefer Pro Plan's nutritional values.  But go ahead and mix
them.  It would be better to get them both eventually eating both foods.  If
you have trouble getting one at some point than they can both eat what you
can get.

Mutro Max is a cat food.  The kitten though is better nutritionally by a
ferrets needs.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/